Surgical Instruments Sterilization, the service consists in Sterilizing surgical instruments that have been used in the operating theatres of hospitals.
The services of surgical instruments sterilization essentially cover the following processes:
- initial decontamination, which is a step normally carried out by the customer
- transport in dedicated containers of dirty instruments from the operating theatre to the sterilization centre
- intake of material traced by a specific management information system
- washing/disinfection of instruments either manually or automatically in specific machines according to the type of device
- packing of surgical instruments in clean containers and of medication sets in appropriate bags following the checklists agreed upon with the customer
- identification of containers and sets by means of a bar code produced by the information system with the purpose of ensuring product traceability
- sterilization in autoclave
- released in conformity with the norms in force
- storage of containers in a sterile area
Subsequently, the containers with sterile instruments are delivered to the operating theatres according to the requests.
The logistic service from and to the operating theatres is performed by Company staff.
The speed required for the process of surgical instruments sterilization is a key factor in locating the sterilization centre either within the hospital facilities or, at least, in the surrounding area.
The flow chart below summarises the sterilization service activities for surgical instruments sterilization:
All the activities of the sterilization centre are carried out by highly qualified staff who must follow the instructions given as wel as the adopted procedures.
Moreover, in every sterilization plant every lot is recorded based on the process parameters to ensure the traceability of every medical device pursuant to the reference directive that has led to the CE certification and other norms governing the sector on the sterilization of medical devices.